Fast Facts about Charleston and Kiawah Island, South Carolina:
1. Charleston has often been voted the Nation’s Most Mannerly City. Southern charm y’all!
2. Fort Sumter is a short ferry ride across Charleston Harbor to see where the Confederate artillery opened fire on the Federal fort on April 12, 1861.
3. Many consider Charleston to be the earliest home of golf in the country, dating back to 1743 records showing a shipment of golf clubs and balls from Scotland.
4. The Kiawah Island Ocean Course was designed by elevating the whole course to provide fantastic views of the Atlantic coastline from every hole. The "The Legend of Bagger Vance" shot many of their golf scenes here.
5. Among the natural beauty of the area and just beyond the greens you will find wildlife such as eagles, egrets, armadillos and even alligators.
Golfing in Charleston and Kiawah Island, South Carolina
From its history, architecture and gracious hospitality, Charleston is overflowing with unique charm. This southern port city tucked between the Ashley and Cooper rivers lures its visitors to another place and time. Scan the horizon across the channel to spot Fort Sumter and stroll up the Battery to admire the historical homes and gardens amid the magnolia and palmetto trees. Part of this experience should include sampling the local seafood. Charleston’s renowned cuisine is rich in flavor and variety with she-crab soup, shrimp and grits, and fried oysters. With beautiful weather most of the year, plan to spend the majority of your trip outside with a club in hand. The Charleston National Golf Club and Rivertowne Country Club incorporate tidal marshes, creeks and natural wetlands. Continue this Low Country experience with a 15-mile drive south of Charleston to Kiawah Island, widely hailed as one of the premier golf destinations on the East Coast. Kiawah Island Golf Resort has five championship courses winding through the narrow barrier island that range from breezy ocean fronts to dense maritime forests. Don’t hesitate to plan a low country golf vacation and enjoy the beaches, historical sites, and phenomenal food.
Build Your Custom South Carolina Golf Package
Craft the perfect South Carolina golf trip from a huge selection of golf courses,hotels and resorts, and vacation packages. With a few simple clicks, you can create a custom golf package, or select one of our traditional vacation packages. Choose from the best golf resorts and top courses in Charleston, Kiawah Island, Hilton Head and Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. We make golf vacation planning easy and rewarding! Whether you are traveling with a companion, a few friends or a large group, we offer customized golf packages to fit your taste, budget and needs. Contact our golf experts to start planning your South Carolina golf trip today!